Sunday 19 March 2017

DEFoW - week 1

So if you read my last post you'd know what DEFoW was...the Don't Eat FOr Winter method of weight management. I hate using the word diet as it now has connotations to weight loss and points and calories, etc.
So week 1 was eventful. The first few days were fine...no problems and managed to stay on track. Thursday was always the hard day for me as this was the stage where previous efforts came to a halt as your body depleted in reserves. There was a slight feeling of that this time but that only goes to show firstly that it isn't a Ketosis method of weight monitoring and second that I must be doing OK.
Friday...the first day of exercise so I went 16 miles on my bike...5th time out this year. Windy and cold but short enough to go with. I went with the suggested carb-first switch on the day. It's not pleasant and I discovered my body doesn't work that way. I need to load the previous night...not load that morning...lesson #1. So I switched around that evening and went on the carb-biased feed that evening. One of the UKs best ever cycling climbers, Robert Miller, said that your performance tomorrow is based on what you eat today. And he's right. The next day was equally windy, if not stronger winds, but I went 22 miles. All good, if not less restricted in the gut region by a lighter feed, and only had a protein/fat based breakfast. Some top pro cyclists do this for weight loss - a plain omelette then 5 hours up in the mountains...albeit with energy bars and gels to keep them company. I had the trusty bananas and energy gels if required.
So if I'd have been on another method, I may say...this doesn't work for endurance sports. But the "why" lets you experiment with what works for you with the understanding of what it is that you want to achieve.
But then the inevitable occurred. Got up Sunday morning...wasted. Not enough fuel from Saturday. How? Well, 2 reasons as it happens. Firstly, I didn't plan the days feed after the breakfast. Home-made soup and brown seed roll at lunch time which was inadequate considering the efforts earlier with lasagne in the evening followed by a small portion of yesterdays cabbage and potato. Considering I had, if you believe these things on Strava, burned 700 calories, I probably didn't have the base calorie intake as it was this depletion left me wanting. Secondly, I have an intolerance to potatoes but I had taken them for 2 days running. Plug = pulled.
So the learning curve, and lessons for this week:
Plan the day
Avoid the spud

Weight-wise - no change but I'm not concerned these being brutally honest. I feel like I've more energy because I'm eating more, if not still insufficient for the requirements on some days. But that's the joy. Learning. I also feel lighter - in the regions where it is typical not to feel light...the gut.
Below is a screenshot of the plan and list which I'll monitor for this week. Any alterations will be made and we'll take it from there. Here's to next week.



No comments:

Post a Comment