Sunday 19 March 2017

Back again...different bell focus

It's been a while. Too long. If you've read my recent post (recent...huh!!) you'd know why. But all seems OK again.
So...back to doing something more useful again...something less stressful, less competitive, less constructed and defined...the bike!! Let the wind blow through my hair while it still exists.
But wait...I've been here before. And it isn't pleasant starting out again. OK, not strictly starting out again but kicking off with regular miles. But there was always something missing with the bike. And that was the weight. I'll never be small. I'll never be light but it would be good to be lighter. It helps...boy does it help!
I've tried all of the diets - no carbs = no energy. No breakfast before going on a bike = dangerous ground. Stay away from refined sugar = yeah, OK, but what if you needed it? You're a protein or carb type person...spare me with the americanism on what is how you live. Where do these people get their ideas. Paleo - OK, has merits but is grossly unsustainable. Go calorie deficient and you will lose weight...only 5 Mars bars a day allowed...no, that doesn't work either. I wanted to eat, not be a part-time mathematician. Try this "food substitute"...you know the one...nothing to do with herbs at all. It's hardly what you'd call natural and in reality is one step away from a pyramid scheme. Nope...I completely failed.
But then there's something different. Someone, finally, describes how your body works. And describes it like a person, not a chemistry graduate. And shows that it can be done...and doesn't say do what I do without showing you what happens first...and doesn't give you a diet plan to follow because we're all different but gives you the information you need...and doesn't give you ingredients that are difficult to come by...and doesn't want you to be come a mathematician. That there is DEFoW, or Don't Eat FOr Winter.
Cian Foley...someone I met while Kettlebell lifting. A quiet sort of a fella. Unassuming. But determined. As with most sports it's now obligatory to connect on Facebook and other social media outlets. Cian seemed to be up to something. Yeah, kettlebells...but he was telling everyone what he was doing. Nothing new there...but he was telling before he did it. And how it worked/didn't work. Then we started to see the six-pack. Urgghhhh! Please.
But he was doing everything...running, social responsibilities, working, family life, competing...where was that energy coming from? Ah, he must have a high metabolism. I asked him about what he was doing.
I messaged him on FB Messenger in January 2017...I couldn't keep up with his messaging about the discoveries he was making on his path to fulfilment...the best way to get the benefit out of his fuel. He was enthusiastic. I wondered if he'd ever put it in writing...I now have his book on my desk. It's also available for the Kindle at Amazon. For the first time I understood why your body works the way it does. How it retains weight...we're all primitive. Once you understand, you can achieve.
So I started out on this journey. It's not a one-size-fits-all diet plan...in fact it's not a plan at all. It's the "why" of weight loss control. But the "Why" is important. It's now down to the how. And each person is different. I'll give a progress report in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment