Sunday 8 September 2013

Glass half empty or glass half full?

A well known dilemma - is the glass half empty or is the glass half full. Or in other words are you an optimist or a pessimist? Well, there's a third option...are you a realist.
I recall a film many years ago where, I'm almost sure, starred Jean Claude Van Damme. He was asked this question by a Sensei (my knowledge of martial arts is limited...a Sensei might be a Japanese make of car!!). The Sensei preceded to pour water into this glass of milk but was stopped. The point was that if this Sensei was to provide Van Damme with his knowledge he first needs to empty the glass, or empty his knowledge to accommodate what he is to be shown. Understand? 
The Jason Kelly Cup of Ireland was me half empty/half full moment. I had used 28's in the Leinster Open in Meath earlier in July. The following 2 weeks I could not hit 2 minutes jerk with 24's. But I changed my diet quite substantially and things came around. I could do 6 minutes quite easily. I could do 10 minutes of both jerk and snatch in a controlled method. I could hit high scores in the minute. I would walk the Cup of Ireland and that glass was half full.
The days leading to the competition I was confident. Diet-wise I had made another alteration. But I began to weaken a little...didn't matter though. I had this in the bag.
The competition was a disaster...for me. Others have said I did well but not in my world. As a comparison to others I had come second to a strong athlete and was 1/2 point...yes, 1 snatch, ahead of third place to a good soul who hadn't done 10 minutes before. But I didn't do me justice...my aim was to go better than I had before. Time to analyse and time to empty.
Firstly, why had I weakened in those few days. This is still in an experimental stage but I reckon I have this area cracked...more to tell in the future. But I knew that if I could only last 7 minutes in a snatch competition I would need to work on that. Back to the coach.
So for an assessment on where to go next I would need to do a few tests. 10 minutes snatch on 16's and 10 minutes on 20's. 16's were fine - controlled and comfortable but only 209. Only 209? One of the things that I had realised after the competition is that I don't do enough 10 minute routines. So how can I pace myself for 10 minutes when I don't do it? I had more than 209 in me and I have to do more 10 minute sets.

The 20's were a different ball game. That 7 minute barrier came in. Heavier weights need technique to pull you through. But the video showed me that I was sacrificing form for numbers and hitting my grip hard. 133 reps...1 less than the 134 reps in the Cup of Ireland last year. That's not progress. And that gut isn't a pleasant addition either...time to move it!

So this is all part of the emptying of the glass and to repeat a phrase I used elsewhere "If at first you don't succeed...do what the coach tells you". So I have 6 months to the nationals where I have to make every day between now and then count and to do that I have to go back to the basics and learn - technique, fitness, strength. So that after that competition I can do me proud and I can fill a glass of my own...preferably pint-sized.

No comments:

Post a Comment